Weaver-Riders Rasp (original)
The Original RidersRasp® is the first tool of its kind designed specifically for horse owners to sustain and support hoof balance and soundness. RidersRasp® allows users to safely and effectively round their horse’s hooves to retain and prolong balance between professional trims and improve the overall condition of a horse’s hooves. With an ergonomic design that fits all hands and a soft, no-slip grip to protect the hands, this unique tool with replaceable rasp is made for rounding, not removing, the hoof wall.
- Featuring Heller Rasps with 52 Rockwell hardness
- Stainless steel protective plate
- Replaceable medium and coarse finish rasps available
AN INNOVATIVE SOLUTION - IMPROVE HOOF CONDITION
- RidersRasp® is a maintenance tool for the hoof that rounds, not removes the hoof wall, starting grooming from the ground up. The hoof is in a constant state of change, requiring frequent upkeep especially for the barefoot horse. As soon as two weeks after a farrier visit, unshod hooves can become unbalanced. A rounding regiment with RidersRasp® allows you to round away flares, chips, and sharp edges to lengthen the time your horse is in balance between trim
- For a shod horse, losing a shoe can quickly damage the hoof wall. RidersRasp®enables you to lightly round the edges of the foot to minimize further damage and stabilize the hoof until the farrier arrives to replace the shoe.
- With RidersRasp®, horse owners can successfully keep barefoot broodmares, retirees and horses in their off-season more comfortable. It is also a great training tool for young horses.
RIDERSRASP® - SAFE FOR THE HORSE AND HORSE OWNER
A conventional farrier’s rasp is difficult to use and best left to a professional. It needs two hands to operate, requiring the user to stand with the horse’s foot between their legs, often bearing the weight of a leaning horse. Standing under the horse is not only difficult, but can be dangerous. When used by a non-professional, a conventional rasp can also remove too much hoof wall which can cause soreness, lameness and compromise the hoof’s balance.
RidersRasp® is easy to use with one hand, allowing the user to stand beside the horse without bearing the horse’s weight. It also protects the user’s hands from the sharp teeth of the rasp and allows them to confidently round the hoof wall, without the worry of removing the hoof wall. RidersRasp’s® ergonomic design fits all hands with a soft grip and no-slip sides.
RidersRasp® Instructional Video
- Begin by cleaning the hoof using a hoof pick and/or brush. We recommend that the hoof be clean and dry.
- Similar to how you hold the hoof when using a hoof pick, hold the hoof in your hand and add further support by stabilizing the horse’s leg with your knee.
- To remove flares and maintain proper hoof wall thickness, lay the bottom of the rasp flush on the outer hoof wall and push the RidersRasp® forward. Remove less than half the hoof wall thickness.
- To round the hoof, maintain the same position and lower the top side of the RidersRasp®. Push forward while lowering the top side to easily round the hoof.
Note: The RidersRasp® may be used with either the large or small grip end in your palm, depending on the size of your hand.